Don’t miss the rare painted ceilings in the Opal Lawrence house, the centerpiece of the Opal Lawrence Historical Park, depicting the agricultural lifestyle of one of Mesquite’s earliest families. Stephen Decatur Lawrence, son of John P. Lawrence of Maryland and Fannie Coats Lawrence of Tennessee, began building the Mesquite landmark Lawrence house in 1874 when he completed three rooms. In 1882, contractor Charley Florrer made an additional 14 rooms.
The home, which is considered Texas prairie vernacular styling, is basically in the same condition as it was originally built, with few modifications over the years. Outbuildings include a smokehouse, brick-lined root cellar, a wash house, a large livestock barn (also made by Mr. Florrer in 1887), and mule barn. Assorted chicken coops also still are intact. See a late 1800s barn, a log cabin, and a nature trail. The park is also the location for the headquarters of Historic Mesquite, Inc. in the historic Noah Range Farmhouse.